Save Old Sunnyside
Up until 1915, Shallotte and the southwestern area of Brunswick County was sorely lacking in facilities in which to educate its children. In a school board meeting on Feb. 2, 1914, members discussed several propositions for schoolhouses in Smithville and Shallotte Townships. At a subsequent meeting on Sept. 7 of that year, a committee was appointed to select and locate a site in District # 1, Shallotte Township, for a new schoolhouse and was asked to report at the next meeting.
On Jan. 4, 1915, the board ordered the contract for the building of the schoolhouse in District # 1, Lockwood Folly Township (which embraces a part
Even after the Shallotte High School building was built in 1927, Sunnyside was allowed to remain on the grounds and continued to be used for classrooms throughout the remaining life of the newer building. Shallotte High School was closed and razed in 1972 when three new high schools were built in the county. On its former site, Shallotte Middle School was built. At this
Although efforts were made to complete the restoration of Sunnyside so that it could be used as a historic showplace and welcome center, the idea floundered and the old monument continued to sit. Then, at a meeting of Shallotte’s Centennial Commission in early 1999, the idea was brought forth again. It was the consensus of the commission that the restoration should go forth. Subsequently, the Shallotte Historical Preservation Society was formed and in conjunction with the Town of Shallotte, a “Save Old Sunnyside” project
Now that the building has been restored it will be used to collect, store and display early artifacts and memorabilia from the turn of the century and earlier. The building will be a tourist attraction and will be open to the public and used for educational purposes as well. In order to accomplish this worthwhile goal, we are asking all of the citizens of our greater community to join us in this effort. The restoring of old Sunnyside is our last chance for such an historic legacy.
* Note: Old Sunnyside was moved to this location on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2002.